When it comes to pressure cookers I have only used the traditional ones. Truth be told, I have burnt my beans a few times and I have cooked meat until its way too soft. I never thought about getting an electric pressure cooker until recently when I started researching cookware! As usual, there are lots of options to choose from. This review is the result of my research into electric pressure cookers especially the Instant Pot Duo 7 in 1. View it on Amazon!
Talk about taking pressure to another level. That is exactly what the Instant Pot electric Duo does, it takes the hard work out of pressure cooking. Before you say, what is he going on about? Let me introduce you to a fairly new entrant to the world of pressure cooking in the UK.
The Instant Pot Duo 7 in 1 Electric Pressure Cooker
The Instant Pot Duo 7 in 1 is a multifunctional cooker that combines 7 functionalities into 1 impressive cooking tool. It is a pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, steamer, can sauté, yogurt maker and warmer. It cooks meals faster, and more efficiently than traditional stovetop pressure cookers.
- Colour: Brushed Stainless Steel
- Weight: 6.61kg
- Product Dimensions: 33 x 32 x 31cm/ 13×12.2×12.6 inch
- Capacity: 6 or 8 Litres
- Wattage: 1,000 or 1,200 watts
- Voltage: 220volts
- Pressure cooker with stainless steel inner pot
- User Manual
- Recipe book with timetables
- Steamer Rack
- Measuring cup
- UK 3 pin power cable, Eu (Schuko) 2 pin power cable
The Features of the Instant Pot Duo 7 in 1
More than a rice cooker – 7 kitchen Appliances in 1
The Instant Pot Duo can be used as:
- a pressure cooker
- a slow cooker
- a rice cooker,
- a steamer
- a sauté pan
- a yogurt maker and
- a warmer.
Okay, I know that most of you would not use it for all 7, but it sure feels good to have one appliance that can do all seven. You may be wondering if one of the functions can be removed so that the IP Duo can be cheaper. The answer is yes. There is an earlier, cheaper version that does not have the yogurt making function. It’s the Instant Pot Lux 6 in 1. I personally would love to have the yogurt making function.
Easy to use Panel
The IP Duo has 14 built-in programs to help you get cooking quicker.
With this panel in front of the IP Duo, you are able to start cooking and walk away with the press of any of the buttons on the panel. You can even keep the food warm while waiting for friends, family, guest or children to get home. With the timer, you can delay when your food starts to cook, so that it is ready just when you want it.
Here is a list of the 14 built-in programs of the instant pot duo.
- Slow Cook
stainless steel inner pot that can be “non-stick”
The IP Duo comes with a stainless steel inner pot, the beauty of this is that for most recipes, nothing would stick, and cleaning it would be a breeze. The inner pot is made of high-quality stainless steel. This is good because with lower quality metals some of the metals get into the food over time.
It also means you do not need to worry about a non- stick coating getting scratched, or peeling off with continuous use. The only down side to the stainless steel inner pot is that it does not have a handle to make it easy to pull out the pot. I think this is something that has to be included in an upgraded version. The good thing is that at the moment you can go on to the Instant Pot website to tell the manufacturer about features you think they should think about.
Instant Pot Duo – Not Stick Inner Pot
You can have the best of both worlds. Ceramic non-stick coating are not toxic, but they can loose their non-stick nature with time. When you have both types of inner pots, you can prolong the life of your non-stick inner pot.
Instant Pot Duo – No Noise, No steam, No Smell, No heat
Unlike the stove top pressure cookers, the instant pot duo does not make the usual noise of pressure being released from the pot. It does not release steam which increases the temperature of the kitchen and the smell of the food is contained in the cooker. This feature is very important for many people who prefer not to smell the food so much until they loose their appetite for the meal.
I must mention however that if you want to manually release the steam so that the pot can be opened quickly, you will get the steam and smell of the food as well as heat released into the kitchen. The silent, odourless and noiseless operation only counts when you allow the pot to operate automatically.
Handy Recipe book with recommended cooking times
The IP Duo comes with a recipe book, this book gives you cooking times and recipes such as brown rice, basmati rice and so on. I do think some of the recipes I would not be cooking, but it is meant to be a guide to get you started. There is also such a huge number of people who are willing to share their recipes and cooking times on facebook, so again joining will be a good idea. The recipe book does bring me to a downside of the IP Duo, which is the seal retains the smell of food, especially strong smelling food like curries, savoury food, yogurt etc. My suggestion would be to get 1 or 2 extra Instant Pot Replacement Sealing Ring to use according to your cooking needs. InstantPot now sells them for less than £10 plus free delivery in the UK.
Useful Safety Features
The Instant Pot Duo has a few safety features to put at rest the minds of people who are scared of pressure cooking. When there is no moisture in the pot and the temperature rises too much, the pot will automatically shut-off. When there is a surge in electricity as well, the pot shuts off. In as much as this is a very good feature of the pot, it can also be a little bit frustrating to someone who is just getting the hang of using the IP Duo. My suggestion would be to joining the Facebook group, and regularly check the how-to-videos so you don’t get caught out.
Instant Pot Duo 7 in 1 – PROS
The instant Pot Duo Pro is not for everyone. There are some people who do not need all the features of the pot. I think that the IP Duo is really the best electric pressure cooker in general right now. Here are some of the pros of the IP Duo again for easy review.
- 7 appliances in 1 – This can save some counter space if it will replace some other appliances such as a rice cooker.
- Easy to use panel
- Stainless steel inner pot that is dishwasher safe and can be used outside the pressure cooker.
- Stainless steel steamer, ladle, and spoon included
- EU cord included – this makes it easy to take your pot around – I do not think that many people will be taking their pot with them on a holiday though.
- Quiet operation with no steam or food aroma.
- Great tasting meals because everything is trapped in the pot.
- You don’t have to babysit your cooking anymore.
- Included Recipe book.
- A sizeable community on facebook – this makes it easy to find recipes and help with getting more out of your cooker.
- Videos on the manufacturer’s website to teach you how to use the Instant Pot Duo.
INSTANT POT DUO 7 IN 1 – cons
Here are a few of the issues that users have raised. It is important to know these because they will help you decide if the cooker is ideal for you or not. For most people, these issues just make the Instant Pot Duo less perfect. They are not serious enough to prevent them from purchasing one.
- There is a rim around the instant pot that is difficult to clean.
- The silicone seal of the cooker retains the aroma of food. This can be frustrating because if you cook a meal like curry, the aroma of the curry could be transferred into your yogurt. In addition to this, each time you open your cooker, you will perceive the aroma of the food you have cooked. This can be embarrassing when trying to show off your cooker.
- No handle is included for the inner pot
- The cooking times on the recipes do not take into account the time it takes the pot to come up to pressure.
- The Instant Pot Duo can take quite some space in a small kitchen.
- The price could be quite high for those who only need it for a few recipes
- You will need to learn how to use this cooker.
Top Selling Instant Pot Duo 7 in 1 Recipe cookbooks
Ultimately the IP Duo is a fantastic automatic shut-off electric multi-cooker that does exactly what it says on the tin.
Instant Pot Duo 8 Litre Electric Pressure cooker
You can also buy the Intant Pot duo in the 8 litre capacity. This is good for larger families or restaurants. You will be able to cook large whole chickens in this one.